By Mark Marshall
Tell us a little bit about your company and its foundation.
JM Construction, Inc started with my great grandfather. They moved here from Hershey ,Pennsylvania in the twenties. Then they started a construction company in Southern California. My grandfather took over and was considered "The Builder of the Pacific Palisades." He now has a charity fund at Pacific Palisade High School, which helps send students to Washington D.C. every year. After marrying my mother, my father took over the business and was dubbed "The Builder to the Stars" in the eighties.
We aim to provide nothing but the best construction experience for every client.
What are some important questions to ask a contractor before beginning this process?
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your license number?
- Can i get references from vendors and previous clients?
- First, we discuss what boats and accessories they want to be able to attach to their dock.
- We ask about how many people they will want on the dock at any given time.
- From there we sketch a design based on questions 1 and 2.
- After that we talk about the different aspects of the design and offer options.
- Once discussed, we revise the initial design, revisit the design details, and finalize finish look of dock and materials.
- Then we quote the final design and present it to the clients.
- Revise the dock and price as needed.
- Once everything is set, we order the dock items and start building.
- *Items 1-5 can be done in 1 hour. Items 6-7 will take about 1 day.*
How do you suggest clients prep for their dock?
Look at the website jmconstruction.com/DocksMarinas/WahooDocks and see if there is a dock or two that stands out to them.
As a contractor, please describe your ideal relationship with the homeowner for whom you are working:
A customer who can communicate well and make decisions rather timely create a great basis for a working relationship.
What is your ideology when designing or building a dock?
We aim to use only the best materials with the least amount of maintenance. We want to ensure quality and lasting work. That is why we use the materials and products that we do.
JM Construction, Inc. Services:
- Residential Construction (New Construction, Additions, Remodels)
- Commercial Construction (New Construction, Tenant Improvements, Ongoing Maintenance)
- Floating Structures (Marinas, Docks, Private Docks, Ongoing Maintenance)
- Expert Witness
- Phone (805) 472-2400
The article can be viewed online here: http://www.southerncaliforniahomes.com/articles/designing-and-building-a-dock-an-interview-with-mark-marshall-of-jm-construction
JM Construction is proud to sponsor the AYSO U-10 Boys Developmental All-Star Team - The Red Bulls. A team picture is coming.
JM Construction Officers had the opportunity to wrap toys for kids on the central coast that would not be getting toys. Around 300 people showed up to wrap from 9am - 12pm and we all wrapped roughly 11,000 toys.
JM Construction just finished a video of the construction progress photos of the Robert Hall residence located in Oak Shores on Lake Nacimiento, California. Check it out.